When citing a direct quote from a person who is not the author of the source, you should introduce the person in your writing, use double quotation marks for the quote rather than the usual single quotation marks for direct quotes by the author of the source, and add the page number within the bracketed citation; alternatively, for sources that do not have a page number (such as online sources), you can use the word online in place of the page number, as demonstrated in the example that follows.
Citing the name of the person whose words were recorded in a book along with the name of the author, the date, and the page reference of the work in which the quotation or reference occurs is required when making a reference to the spoken words of someone who was not the author of the text.
- 1 How do I cite a source quoted within another source?
- 2 How do you cite a quote in an essay?
- 3 How do you cite as cited in a research paper?
- 4 How do you cite a quote from someone else’s work?
- 5 How do you cite a quote that is quoted by someone else MLA?
- 6 How do you cite a secondary quote?
- 7 How do you quote something that is already quoted?
- 8 What is it called when you give credit in your writing to someone else’s quote?
- 9 How do you cite someone citing someone else in APA?
- 10 How do you write a secondary source in an essay?
- 11 How do you write an indirect citation?
- 12 How do you cite a quote that is cited?
- 13 How do you cite a quote from a person in an essay?
- 14 Do you say quote unquote?
How do I cite a source quoted within another source?
How do I properly cite a source that is quoted in another source (also known as how do I properly cite a secondary source) using the APA style?According to the APA handbook, you should ″cite secondary sources sparingly,″ which means that you should only do so in certain circumstances, such as when the primary source is out of print, inaccessible, or only available in a language that you do not comprehend.
How do you cite a quote in an essay?
After the quoted material, an in-text parenthetical citation should be inserted as soon as feasible. It is important to note that the format of the in-text citation differs depending on the type of source that was used to obtain the quotation.
How do you cite as cited in a research paper?
Identify the primary source that you are citing inside the text of your paper, and include the notation ″(as cited in Author, Date)″ within parentheses.The secondary source is the only one that will be shown in the reference list.In the following cases, Smith’s study serves as the primary source, while Queenan et al.serve as the secondary source (the source that is mentioned in other works).
How do you cite a quote from someone else’s work?
Citing something that has already been referenced by someone else:
- Citation should be included inside the text. Author of the quotation (Year, quoted in Author of the resource you have read, year, page number)
- Author of the quotation
- Include the author’s name, the year the texts were published, and the page number of the citation you are pulling the quote from inside the book itself.
- List of References
How do you cite a quote that is quoted by someone else MLA?
Citing a source that comes from a secondary source requires mentioning both the primary source and the secondary source in the body of the text, but only including the secondary source in the entry of the works cited list.Your parenthetical reference must include the abbreviation qtd.in (which stands for ″quoted in″) before citing any indirect sources.This is a requirement of the MLA format.
How do you cite a secondary quote?
In order to properly reference a secondary source:
- Give an item in your reference list that corresponds to the secondary source that you are mentioning
- Identify the original source inside the text, and then add ″as cited in″ next to the secondary source that you utilized to support your claims
- If you know the year in which the primary material was published, you should also provide that information in the text
How do you quote something that is already quoted?
How to cite a specific quote. Rule: When you have a quotation within another quotation, you should use single quotation marks inside of double quotation marks. For instance, Bobbi related to me what Delia had stated, which was that ″This would never work.″
What is it called when you give credit in your writing to someone else’s quote?
When using paraphrasing, make sure to provide credit to the original source both at the place where you use it and at the very end of the paper or essay in the bibliography.
How do you cite someone citing someone else in APA?
In the in-text reference, provide not only the author and year of the original work but also the author and year of the work from which the quotation or idea was taken. In the reference that is made within the text, place the phrase ″as referenced in″ before the author’s name. Take, for instance – (Harris, 2009, as cited in Lewis, 2019).
How do you write a secondary source in an essay?
In this sense, a secondary source is a source that has also done analysis on the same or a related issue as the primary source. You will next utilize this secondary source to illustrate how your argument regarding the first source connects to this secondary source. Between you and the original source is an intermediary known as a secondary source.
How do you write an indirect citation?
If you utilize a quotation that is not direct, you must specify in the parenthetical citation the source from which the quote was taken, followed by the words ″as cited in,″ and then the source from which you acquired the quote. In your reference page, you should simply provide the source from whence you acquired the information.
How do you cite a quote that is cited?
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 to properly cite a quote within another quote.
- Please provide the last name of the original author
- Include the date on which the original work was published
- Follow the name of the work with the phrase ″as referenced in″
- Next, include the date when the cited work was initially published
- Please provide the page number where the information may be accessed
How do you cite a quote from a person in an essay?
The last name of the author is included in in-text citations, followed by the page number, which is surrounded by parentheses. ‘Here’s a direct quotation’ (Smith 8). If the name of the author is not provided, the first word or words of the title should be used instead. Be sure to apply the same formatting conventions, such as quote marks, that were utilized in the books referenced list.
Do you say quote unquote?
It doesn’t matter either direction you go. After the text that is being quoted, you may also add the phrase ″quote-unquote,″ as in the following example: ″He stated that he couldn’t come because he was ″busy,″ quote-unquote.″ According to Curzan, ″what we’re witnessing here is a spoken characteristic that has emerged from a written feature.″