- Quoting a Play in Your Essay. When you quote from a play in your essay, you are required, according to the guidelines of the MLA style, to add an in-text reference that indicates where the quote originated
- Using the Words of Several Characters in Conversations. Plays are characterized by the fact that numerous characters interact with one another through the medium of theatrical speech.
- Include a Play in Your List of Works Cited. An additional page is added at the end of your paper in MLA format to contain a citation for each of the materials that were referenced in your work
- Plays Collected Into Anthologies Plays are frequently included in works that span many volumes or in anthologies
- Plays That Can Be Found Online To add a play that you discovered online to your reference list, you will need to update the information about the publisher with the name and date of the website page on which you found the play
Updated on the 16th of June in 2022. When referencing a play that has numbered lines, the parenthetical citation for a play written in MLA format has to include the name of the author as well as the act, scene, and line numbers (s). Include the page number instead of the line numbers if the lines do not have numbers.
If you wish to quote all or part of a single line from a verse, you should always put it in quotation marks within your text. This applies whether you want to quote the entire line or only part of it.
- 1 How to cite a play in MLA format?
- 2 How to write a quotation in MLA format?
- 3 How do you cite a quote from a play in APA?
- 4 How do you put a quote from a play in an essay?
- 5 How do you cite a quote from a play in-text?
- 6 How do you quote a play title?
- 7 How do you quote Romeo and Juliet?
- 8 How do you quote Macbeth?
- 9 How do you cite Macbeth in MLA?
- 10 How do you quote Shakespeare in MLA?
- 11 How do you quote Hamlet in MLA format?
- 12 How do you cite a drama in MLA?
- 13 How do you reference a play?
- 14 Is a play italicized or quoted?
- 15 What is the MLA citation for Romeo and Juliet?
- 16 How do you cite Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet MLA?
- 17 How do you cite Shakespeare As You Like It?
- 18 How do you format a quote in MLA format?
- 19 How to cite a Shakespearean play?
How to cite a play in MLA format?
In order to properly reference a play using the MLA format, you will need to adhere to the following conventions: Separation from the rest of the text is required for your quotation.Each new section of speech that you add to a play’s script should begin with the name of a suitable character or the character’s qualifications, whichever comes first.Each name that is mentioned in a play has to be indented by an inch.
It may be seen coming in from the left edge.
How to write a quotation in MLA format?
Formatting Quotations Using the MLA Style. 1 Short quotes. Place the quotation you want to highlight inside of two long quotation marks to indicate that it is a brief quotation (four typed lines or fewer of prose or three lines of verse). 3 Inserting new words into or removing them from existing quotes.
How do you cite a quote from a play in APA?
You do not need to add the author’s name or the title of the play in your in-text citation if you mentioned either the author or the title of the play in the signal phrase that came before you introduced the quotation. Note: When quoting lines of dialogue or lines from a play, you should indent the line half an inch from the left margin (one tab).
How do you put a quote from a play in an essay?
When quoting from a play, begin each portion with the relevant character’s name indented 1 inch from the left margin and written in all capital letters, followed by a period. This should be done before the quotation itself. After that, begin the quotation, and make a quarter-inch tab at the beginning of each line that follows it.
How do you cite a quote from a play in-text?
You need to provide the line numbers in your in-text citation if the play you’re citing has them. In order to properly quote lines from a play, you will need to provide the author’s last name, in addition to the scene number, the act number, and the line number. If you were going to cite one of Shakespeare’s plays, for instance, you would format it like this.
How do you quote a play title?
If the source can stand on its own, the titles of its sections should be italicized.Italicize the titles of publications such as books, plays, movies, magazines, databases, and websites.If the source is part of a larger work, include the titles of the sections in quotation marks.
It is common practice to enclose written works such as articles, essays, chapters, poetry, websites, songs, and speeches with quote marks.
How do you quote Romeo and Juliet?
Playwright’s name, followed by ″Play Title,″ is the structure. The title of the book, the author(s) or editor(s) of the book, the publisher, the year the book was published, and the page number (s). Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare, is one good example.
How do you quote Macbeth?
Information on the MLA formatting style and on Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays, such as Macbeth (both the play and the character), and The Tempest (both the play and the character).
- You are free to use an abbreviation for the play’s title in the parenthetical citation (but be sure to clear this with your instructor beforehand)
- In parenthetical citations, you should not use page numbers
- Instead, you should always add (act.scene.lines)
How do you cite Macbeth in MLA?
How to properly reference William Shakespeare’s ″Macbeth″ in your paper
- Shakespeare, William, A.P.A. (1992). Wordsworth Editions’ version of Macbeth
- William Shakespeare and the city of Chicago Wordsworth Classics published Macbeth in 1992. Wordsworth Editions, located in Ware, England
- Macbeth was published by Wordsworth Editions in 1992 and is cited using the MLA format. Shakespeare, William.
How do you quote Shakespeare in MLA?
Frequently asked questions regarding MLA citations In-text citations of Shakespeare plays written in MLA format should not include page numbers under any circumstances. Instead, the act, scene, and line numbers of the content being cited should be included, with the line numbers being separated by periods, such as (Shakespeare 3.2. 20–25).
How do you quote Hamlet in MLA format?
- First name of the author, last name of the author Title. authored by first name, last name, publisher, year published, and page numbers
- Translated or edited by
- Shakespeare, William. Hamlet. Edited by George Richard Hibbard and published by Oxford University Press in 2008 on pages 18-22
- Author’s surname followed by their initial. (Year the book was published). Title.
- William Shakespeare (1996). Hamlet
How do you cite a drama in MLA?
MLA Style Guide — DRAMA
- When you first refer to anything in your writing, use the full title, and then use the abbreviation in parenthesis after it. As an illustration, ″In All’s Well That Ends Well (AWW),″ written by Shakespeare
- Any references to the title that come after this one may have their length shortened
- For further information, please refer to the MLA Handbook, sections 7.7 and 7.7. 2
How do you reference a play?
Playwright’s last name and first name are listed in the works cited section. Title of the Play or Publication Name of the publisher, edition (if relevant), and year of publication
Is a play italicized or quoted?
When a passage is taken from a book, journal, magazine, drama, newspaper, or other standalone publication, the title of the work should be italicized and placed in quotation marks. Always keep the original punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and hyphenation when copying and pasting.
What is the MLA citation for Romeo and Juliet?
William Shakespeare was born in 1564 and died in 1616. Romeo and Juliet was written in 1597. published in Oxford for the Malone Society by the Oxford University Press in the year 2000.
How do you cite Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet MLA?
How to properly reference William Shakespeare’s ″Romeo and Juliet″ in your paper
- Shakespeare, William, A.P.A. (1993). Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, published by Dover
- William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet was published in 1993 by Dover Thrift Editions in Chicago. Mineola, New York: Dover Publications
- Mineola, New York.
- Romeo and Juliet was published by Dover Publications in 1993 and was written by William Shakespeare.
How do you cite Shakespeare As You Like It?
MLA (7th ed.) William Shakespeare and Horace H. Furness are credited for writing the play. To Each His Own, Please. Publication year: 1963 by Dover in New York.
How do you format a quote in MLA format?
To properly write a block quotation using the MLA style, you should begin by introducing it with a brief phrase that comes to a conclusion with a colon or comma. After that, place the quote on a new line, but do not use quotation marks around it. Following the addition of the quotation, move the entire block of text to the right by a half an inch from the margin on the left.
How to cite a Shakespearean play?
- The page that contains the books that have been cited may be referred to as a ″bibliography″ or a ″references″ page, depending on the citation style.
- Don’t just recite the name of the play that you’re mentioning.
- The works referenced page should be alphabetized.
- Shakespeare, William. is an example of an entry that may be found in an anthology
- A sample entry for a collection of works by a single author may look something like this: Shakespeare,William.