- Method 1 of 3: How to Format Shakespeare Quotes in Text Download Article How to Cite Shakespeare in MLA Format Method 1 of 3: How to Format Shakespeare Quotes in Text Place the quote marks around just one line of the poem.
- Method 2 Download the article to continue with Method 2 of 3: Creating an In-Text Citation. After the last phrase of the quotation, place the parenthesis
- Method Three How to Reference Shakespeare in a Bibliography (Method Three of Three) Download Article
Citations in the Modern Language Association (MLA): Frequently Asked Questions In-text citations of Shakespeare plays written in MLA format should not include page numbers under any circumstances. Instead, the act, scene, and line numbers of the content being cited should be included, with the line numbers being separated by periods, such as (Shakespeare 3.2. 20–25).
Here are 10 of Shakespeare’s most famous quotations, along with a possible explanation of what each one means. 1. ″But gentle, what light shines through yonder window?″ This is a quotation that Romeo uses to describe Juliet because he believes that she is as lovely and dazzling as the sunshine that is shining through the window.
- 1 How do you quote a line from Shakespeare?
- 2 How do you quote plays in-text MLA?
- 3 How do I cite Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet MLA?
- 4 How do you cite Shakespeare’s Hamlet in MLA?
- 5 How do I cite Shakespeare?
- 6 How do you cite Macbeth in MLA?
- 7 How do you put a quote from a play in an essay?
- 8 How do you do an in-text citation for a play?
- 9 How do you cite Macbeth in works cited?
- 10 How do you cite a quote from a play?
- 11 How do you cite Shakespeare As You Like It?
- 12 How do you cite a play in MLA?
- 13 How do you quote Julius Caesar in MLA?
- 14 How to MLA cite a famous quote?
- 15 How do you cite quotes in MLA style?
How do you quote a line from Shakespeare?
- In the space provided for the author’s name, type ″Shakespeare,″ followed by a comma
- If it has been translated, provide the year it was translated, followed by a comma.
- Please include a list of the act, scene, and lines that you are quoting, with each item separated by a period.
- Place the entirety of the citation inside of parenthesis
- The following format should be used for the entry in your reference list: Author
How do you quote plays in-text MLA?
When referencing a play that has numbered lines, the parenthetical citation for a play written in MLA format has to include the name of the author as well as the act, scene, and line numbers (s). Include the page number instead of the line numbers if the lines do not have numbers.
How do I cite Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet MLA?
William Shakespeare, you are. Romeo & Juliet (italicized). Where the publisher is located: Name of the publishing company, the year it was published. If the citation entry takes up more than one line, the succeeding lines need to have a double space between them and be indented.
How do you cite Shakespeare’s Hamlet in MLA?
- First name of the author, last name of the author Title. authored by first name, last name, publisher, year published, and page numbers
- Translated or edited by
- Shakespeare, William. Hamlet. Edited by George Richard Hibbard and published by Oxford University Press in 2008 on pages 18-22
- Author’s surname followed by their initial. (Year the book was published). Title.
- William Shakespeare (1996). Hamlet
How do I cite Shakespeare?
Example of Works Cited: the Title of the Play Work as a proofreader or translator. Publisher, Date of Publication, and Location of Publication William Shakespeare, you are.
How do you cite Macbeth in MLA?
Information on the MLA formatting style and on Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays, such as Macbeth (both the play and the character), and The Tempest (both the play and the character).
- You are free to use an abbreviation for the play’s title in the parenthetical citation (but be sure to clear this with your instructor beforehand)
- In parenthetical citations, you should not use page numbers
- Instead, you should always add (act.scene.lines)
How do you put a quote from a play in an essay?
When quoting from a play, begin each portion with the relevant character’s name indented 1 inch from the left margin and written in all capital letters, followed by a period. This should be done before the quotation itself. After that, begin the quotation, and make a quarter-inch tab at the beginning of each line that follows it.
How do you do an in-text citation for a play?
Citations in the text for printed sources for which the author is unknown When citing a short piece of writing, such as an article, enclose the title in quotation marks; when citing a lengthier piece of writing, such as a play, book, television show, or whole website, it is appropriate to italicize the title and offer a page number, if one is available.
How do you cite Macbeth in works cited?
How to properly reference William Shakespeare’s ″Macbeth″ in your paper
- Shakespeare, William, A.P.A. (1992). Wordsworth Editions’ version of Macbeth
- William Shakespeare and the city of Chicago Wordsworth Classics published Macbeth in 1992. Wordsworth Editions, located in Ware, England
- Macbeth was published by Wordsworth Editions in 1992 and is cited using the MLA format. Shakespeare, William.
How do you cite a quote from a play?
To properly cite a specific passage from a play using the MLA format, enclose the passage in quote marks (using slashes to indicate line breaks) and finish with a parenthetical citation of the author, the name of the play, and then the page/act (for prose plays) or act/scene/line(s) information (for verse).
How do you cite Shakespeare As You Like It?
MLA (7th ed.) William Shakespeare and Horace H. Furness are credited for writing the play. To Each His Own, Please. Publication year: 1963 by Dover in New York.
How do you cite a play in MLA?
Citing a Play
- Author is the format. Italicize the title of the play. Textbook Title, Edited by Name of Editor, Edition Number, Volume Number
- Example: Hansberry, Lorraine. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. The Norton Anthology of African-American Literature,
- Author is the format. Italicize the title of the play, then list the edition, publisher, and year
- Example: Sophocles. Antigone
How do you quote Julius Caesar in MLA?
MLA (7th ed.) William Shakespeare, Barbara A. Mowat, and Paul Werstine all contributed to this study. The Melodrama of Julius Caesar 2005, published by Washington Square Press in New York.
How to MLA cite a famous quote?
- Short quotations vs. block quotes. There are a few different approaches you may use when using quotations into your writing
- Block quotations. When you wish to cite a passage that is longer than four lines of text or a portion of poetry that is longer than three lines, you should use a
- A list of works mentioned Didion,Joan. A Calendar Year of Wishful Thinking. The 2006 Vintage International edition. The MLA Handbook, Eighth Edition
How do you cite quotes in MLA style?
- Purdue OWL
- General Writing Introduction to General Writing Introduction to Writing Style Introduction to Writing Style Developing the Context of Your Persona Through the Use of Models Introduction to Dictation Tone, Mood, and Audience Introduction to Dictation Various Degrees of Distinction Increasing One’s Vocabulary Through Writing